Monday 14 December 2009

How to syncrhonize passwods between Keepass and Password safe

Right now, there aren't so many options to get a password manager for our Nokia N900.

There are a couple of low end solutions as Password Safe and others which doesn't offer a big functionality.

There is also an option to compile Keepass for the device. However this process is quite complicated and I'm not 100% sure it's working yet.

I'm a big fan of Keepass as there is a 100% compatible version for Windows, Linux (and I think MAC).

This has moved me to synchronize my password database between Keepass and Password Safe. Right now, I only get one way Keepass -> Password Safe. I guess the other way could be implemented to, but I'm not going to wate my time trying to get it as this solution is pretty shit.

The Steps are:
  1. Export the database to XML on Keepass.
  2. Use this perl script to transform the xml file to a csv files.
  3. Use Password Safe for windows Password Safe and:
    1. Create a new password database.
    2. Import the csv file.
    3. Export the database to Password Safe V 2.0 as this is the only format that the Pwsafe for N900 supports.
  4. Finally open the database with Gorilla Password and change the database preferences to V2 Unicode support.
    1. This step is necessary because otherwise Pwsafe for N900 will be able to open the database but it will full of shit.
 There is a copy of the Perl script on your Gmail account.

    2 comments:

    1. Thanks for this, very helpful!
      I moved from Android OISafe to N900 using your tips.

      ReplyDelete
    2. KeepassX is available for n900. It works. Just copy your database file (kbd) to your n900.

      ReplyDelete